A really worrying fact is that these eating disorders have been the cause of many deaths, especially anorexia which has a mortality rate of almost 20%. Anorexic teenagers perceive their body as fatter than it actually is.
They cannot be accepted as they are and this makes them go on drastic diets, to have the impression that no matter how little they eat, the food makes them gain weight. Therefore, not only their relationships with those around them, but also their daily activities are affected.
What are the causes?
Often, the severity with which parents raise their children can create for them, in adolescence, psychological problems due to the limits imposed in the family. Another factor that can lead to the appearance of anorexia is the desire to please others. The opinion of friends is very important during adolescence, and young women live with the feeling that if they are thinner, they are even more attractive.
That’s why it’s hard for them to accept that they have a health problem. Instead, teenage girls suffering from bulimia are willing to get help from a psychotherapist. They are aware of the fact that they are dealing with a condition.
Moreover, they feel guilty for not being able to curb their appetite, even going so far as to try to eliminate the food consumed before it is digested by inducing vomiting.
As a parent, you can easily notice if there is something wrong with the way your child is feeding. The most common signs of anorexia are excessive weight loss, deprivation of food or cutting food into small pieces, and the feeling that one has eaten a lot.
A bulimic young woman should worry you as soon as you see that after eating with gusto she struggles to eliminate food by inducing vomiting or using laxatives. Here are some things you can do to prevent your daughter from having complications from either of these two conditions!
– Strengthen his self-confidence.
– Give her a good opinion about the way she looks so she won’t be influenced by other people’s opinions.
– If he wants to follow a diet, determine together what he will eat and watch if he follows it exactly.
– Pay more attention to her diet to avoid excesses of any kind.
– Eat together and don’t let your children eat on the run in front of the TV or the computer.
– If signs of any of these diseases appear, go to a psychotherapist together and not
stop showing her how much you love her the way she is.
– During the treatment, I help her to become aware of the signs of the disease.